Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:21:37 -0400

> Some people find it useful to conflate several jobs into one listing in
> their chronological resumes, especially if they were contracts. Doing that
> allows them to include meaty information about their experience that might
> be otherwise absent from a chronological resume that includes only the
last
> 10-15 years, for example. A resume can actually include more years than
> that, but do it in a way that emphasizes the content of the work rather
than
> the time period. If you have a good deal of experience, which it sounds as
> if you do, this technique might be useful. While my resume is hardly
> outstanding in any way except perhaps for its dearth of technical
experience
> of the kind that would help me get work in the present economy, I did use
> that technique in one listing, so you might want to take a look.
>
> Also, if you need someone to review your resume, I'm available.

The above may be a bit muddled, so let me try to clarify it.

If you are creating a chronological resume and you want to include no more
than 10-15 years, you can do that and yet still include more experience than
you might think. You do this by having an entry in your resume that spans
the years you want to cover. In that listing, which might say "1986-1994",
you could list in bullets the jobs you did in such a way that you otherwise
could not if you were restricted to meeting the goals of:

- Creating a chronological resume
- Including no more than 10-15 years

I hope this makes more sense. I find that I am a bit nervous because I
haven't worked in over a year and I'm a bit jittery. Got to cut back on the
caffeine! LOL.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com