Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: Mary Swanson <mswanson -at- gta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:17:09 -0400

Just a thought for you, CB Casper:

Keep your eye on businesses that you might not think of--billing and
accounts payable software is hard to get, and many smaller companies need a
customized product. I know of a fern growing co-op in Florida that bought
custom software; and my first tech writing job was for a small software
company that writes customized software for LTL trucking businesses,
shipping and auto parts manufacturers.

Other ideas: I noticed this site (http://www.cpacareernet.com/) and they had
at least one IT job. I don't recommend working for CPAmerica (I worked there
as an intern), but this site might provide you with ideas. Also, I don't
know where they have an office, but Sema4 (http://www.sema4.com/) is a
software design company with an accounting program for architects and
engineers. (I liked the product very much, even with a few bugs.)

Good luck to your SO!

Mary

On 9/27/02 12:38 PM, "Kight, Cindy K." <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Gilbarco -dot- com> wrote:

> Well, this could be a challenge.
>
> If your significant other is a woman, there's also the double-whammy of sex
> discrimination in a male-dominated field. That's a whole discussion in
> itself.
>
> My advice would be to use that accounting experience as a strength. Lots of
> small software companies have accounting functions as an integral part of
> their software, and having programmers and designers with real-world
> accounting experience could be a benefit.
>
> Cindy Kight
> Technical Communications Manager
> RMS Group - Gilbarco, Inc.
> Glendale, CA

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com