RE: perils of job hunting

Subject: RE: perils of job hunting
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 02:16:21 -0400

::: I was recently offered 2 jobs, and this morning, I
::: chose which offer to accept.
:::
::: I wrote a very professional and gracious e-mail to the
::: person whose offer I did not accept. In response, I
::: received a rambling diatribe about how I am
::: "unprofessional" and "set the project back 4 weeks".
::: The e-mail basically closed with the suggestion that I
::: am to blame if the project fails.
:::
::: Am I mistaken in thinking that this recruiter terribly
::: overreacted? I mean, I did not sign a contract. She
::: was also aware that I was interviewing with other
::: companies. Yes, I signed a standard background check
::: approval, and took a drug test. But did this mean
::: that I had accepted an offer? Like I said, I made no
::: verbal or written agreement to a contract.

The fact that they made you an offer is irrelevant. I suppose they were
banking on the economy and figured making an offer meant they scored a
new employee. Don't sweat it. The person you heard back from is, well,
and idiot (but aren't we all?). You are not tied to them until you sign
the work agreement, and they know that. I'm sure the person was just a
bit miffed that they lost you - it sounds like they were over-confident
that you'd accept and so planned their schedules against that wild card
- a big project management mistake.

Basically, don't feel bad. They screwed up. They're just being bitchy.
Be happy you aren't working there, as it sounds like their project
management practices are a bit whimsical.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com