RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: RE: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:13:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com> wrote:
In
> my resumes, I make a point of listing only years,
> not specific dates, so
> that no one can pick out blank spots.

That's a problem in years with several short
contracts, such as I had last year. However, I have
gotten down to listing only the last few years in
detail, with an "other contract positions" and "other
full time positions" section that shows the employer,
industry or focus (energy, entertainment, etc) or
principal project, and the year-range. That way I
don't lose some of the most interesting entries, but
keep the whole thing to 2-1/2 readable pages.

I also separate contract and fulltime positions, since
my career has been somewhat checkered, which
incidentally diverts attention from the gaps. When
applying to a contract position, the contract list
goes first, and vice versa. The agency recruiters
don't always like this format, but hiring managers
seem to deal with it ok. At keast they did the last
time I was looking :)

Maggie Secara

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com