Re: Linux users who like Windows

Subject: Re: Linux users who like Windows
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:50:23 -0500

Java/J2EE is happy on Linux. That's what IBM is promoting with its
Linux systems on the AS/400 (iSeries) and mainframe (zSeries, I think)

Websphere, BEA, Biztalk, I think are all J2EE or whatever the
latest rendy flavor of Java is.

While .NET may be ported to Linux, it's really a matter of the compilers and
components. If you are going to write every line of your own code in C#,
suer you can use .Net on Linux , once the bigs are out of it.

Of course, the real power for most of us is VB on NT, and the broken
version of VB that Microsoft has offered so far on .NET is a loser.

That's why you are starting to see articles on how to use your VB6
software with .NET.

Bill Gates'people wanted to save some bucks, so they wrote a VB
subset that actually breaks existing software when you recomplie (if
you can recompile - they left many of the best VB features out of it
'to impress Jodie Foster' - I mean, to make it more like C.) That's
like wanting to make Shakespeare read like Mother Goose.

I have applications with tens of thousands of lines of code - and you
cannot trust the conversion process, it will have to be rewritten
and re-debugged - 10 years of development flushed by Bill Gates.

The magazines are all playing the MS tune - and the development
software guys think it is the best deal since Y2K - everyone has to upgrade.

We still do new development in VB6, it works fast and well, and I assume
MS will bow to market forces at some point and upgrade VB.NET to
VB6 compaitbility. There is no reason not to, despite MS publicity
releases. MS just needs better programmers, or to send the C-brains
back to their separate island.

VB6 is a great language. VB.NET is a poor cousin, use it only if
you have to. Both can speak XML and use web services just fine.

Remember when Microchannel and OS/2 were going to be the next great thing?

(Actually isn't NT Microsoft's verions of OS/2?)

Brad Jensen

P.S.
Everything I write is my opinion. If you don't like it,
you write something better or at least more
entertaining. If you call me names or insult my
grandmother, you lose two points.

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com