Plus and minus sign buttons

Subject: Plus and minus sign buttons
From: "Kubrin, Andy" <AKubrin -at- FEICO -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:23:46 -0600


I'm documenting an application that uses buttons labeled with plus and
minus signs to step through a range of values--an index, say, or a range
of voltage settings.

Is anyone aware of a convention for referring to such buttons in text? I
need an end-user term, not developer-speak. It seems cumbersome to write
"click the plus or minus buttons ...." And I can't show a screen shot
wherever I reference such a button, either, or I'll have several screen
caps per page.

As a bonus question, does anyone know if it is standard Windows UI design
practice to use these buttons? If there's a better alternative, I'd like
to point it out to our developers.

Please copy me with your response, as I'm on digest.



Andy Kubrin
Senior Technical Writer
FEI Company
akubrin -at- feico -dot- com

Buy ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 6.0, the most powerful SINGLE SOURCE HELP
AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250).

All-new RoboHelp X3 is now shipping! Get single sourcing, print-quality
documentation, conditional text and much more, in the most monumental
release ever. Save $100! Order online at

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as:
archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: Chapter, Lesson, Topic Approach
Next by Author: Plus and minus signs--a rehash
Previous by Thread: NYC get together?
Next by Thread: Re: Plus and minus sign buttons

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads