Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: John Posada <john -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 12:14:16 -0700

Jay...you may find that some of us aren't friendly toward newbies IF

- they see this list as their own personal resource where they can receive
but never give.
Example: I'm new and I was asked to create an admin manual...send me
samples.

- they don't attempt to do even the slightest amount of research on their
own using the most common tools available
Example: Asking "What is a network administrator manual", when by simply
putting in that exact phrase in Google, gives you multiple hits.

- they present questions so vague or all-encompassing that some of us end up
dedicating a greater deal of time toward what is really a very limited or
specific answer.

If you demonstrate that you are willing to do your part, this list will be
an amazing source of experience

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
john -at- tdandw -dot- com