Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:00:04 -0700

Donald H. White wrote:

"But even if your statement is true,..."

Just a minute; I didn't get 'personal' in my reply, and my reply was
inextricably tied to my experience with our local STC chapter. And, I
have read the previous entries, thank you.

I'm sorry that you're finding offense where none was intended. How else am I to refer back to your comments if "your statement" is personal?

As for mentioning the previous entries, past experience has shown me that it's a mistake to assume that everyone on a mailing list has been following a thread from its beginning.

> All I can say, from personal experience, is that one
>should leave no stone unturned if one wishes to find a job. Even those
>of us who do not have direct hiring authority have the ability to
>influence those who do hire.

None of which runs counter to anything I said. If you have the time to go to an STC meeting, it can't hurt your job search.However, you can't expect too much for it.

The same holds true for most of the other favorite methods of job-hunting, such as reading the want ads or using the job-boards on the Internet. They may help, but they're not the most effective methods.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Someday I must read this scholar Everyone . . . He seems to have written so much - all of it wrong."
- Tamora Pierce

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com