RE: taking too long

Subject: RE: taking too long
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:11:34 -0700

You mean six months have gone by and you have turned in no status report,
doc plan, schedule, or anything to show your progress and productivity?

In my situation, I show my boss (the VP of QA) and my SMEs the doc in
progress. Content is determined way in advance. They review and approve
outlines before anything gets written. My boss and I banged out a doc plan
and schedule, and we check off the milestones as they come and go.

If the schedule needs to be modified, my boss is up to speed on why.

> How do you handle "What's taking so long?"
>
> My boss has asked me that twice, once at three months, once
> at six months. I
> told him the writing is generally expected to take as long as
> the coding. He
> said, "Is that on a one-to-one level? Five writers to five
> coders?" I was
> flummoxed. What would you have said?
>
> I have spent six months writing five hundred pages from
> scratch, with four
> hundred screenshots for which I took the shot, cropped it or whatever,
> inserted it, and provided call outs. I am writing documentation for
> databasing software that uses SQL Server 2000.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Genevieve

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com