Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers

Subject: Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeff Hanvey <jeff -at- jewahe -dot- net> wrote:

> One other factor I've noticed: if the person doesn't really like their job,
> then they will be more likely to act as you described. Perhaps there are more
> people than I realize who are dissatisfied with their jobs, but I can't imagine
> that to be the case. Most of these people eventually wash out - admittedly, the
> washing process can be painful. But, still, I firmly believe that the majority
> of people are conscientious about their jobs and want to go well.

People are dissatisfied with their jobs for a vast number of reasons. I believe
people are their own worst enemies. They get themselves into things without
really thinking about the realities or repercussions of what they're doing. And
then when the situation fails to meet their expectations, they get a bad attitude
and blame people around them. And given our hyper-victim culture, its a heck of a
lot easer to blame your boss, your employer, the process, the tools, or even
terrorists for your inability to do your job.

The blame game is fun, because it FEELS productive. When you stand around and
bitch about how the boss or a co-worker isn't doing their job, it makes you feel
better. In fact, its utterly unproductive. Nobody ever finished a document while
they were standing around bitching about how the world doesn't respect them.

The way I see it, its rather simple, if you want respect and reward you go out
there and prove you are worthy of it. Life is a great disappointment sometimes
but if your honest and fair, committed and diligent, your hard work will pay off
- eventually. But if you bitch and whine and complain that you were treated
unfairly, good luck. Life is unfair. Work is unfair. Everything is unfair.

> Which is fine if you work at some
> >big pointless organization where results are optional. But at a small to
> medium
> >sized business, underperforming people are disastrous.
>
> Agreed, but only on the end. Results are never optional, and those who don't
> get results, don't do their jobs, will eventually be washed out.

> I'm not denying that there is a decided lack of tech skills in our profession.
> I also believe that the skills are necessary. Where I disagree is that *every*
> writer has to come to *every* job fully knowledgeable about the technology.

Well, they have to learn them somewhere. And generally it is up to you to
educate yourself. Nobody is going to point you at enlightenment.

> LOL. If grammar were truly "easy," then anyone could write a clear sentence
> without the fuss, and there would be no need for people who are specifically
> trained in language (including tech writers and editors).
>
> Also, tools cannot be learned anytime. Companies make a strong distinction
> between recreational use of tools (boy, there's a phrase) and professional use
> of them. They want proven productivity. So, while padding your resume with a
> few FrameMaker docs will be good, it doesn't guarantee to the company that you
> know the program and can be productive with it immediately. And that's what it
> is about: immediate productivity.

Well, if people really were fast learners, like they always say they are in
interviews, then it shouldn't be a problem to pick up new tools quickly.

Where most people get bungled is that they obsess over the right way to use the
tool and not how to use the tool to accomplish something. Hence, they spend a lot
of energy on learning other people's methods and not truly learning anything
themselves.

Andrew Plato

http://faith.yahoo.com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com