Re: touchy feely crap

Subject: Re: touchy feely crap
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

"David Cooper" wrote

> > "They are so obsessed with "shaping information" and other touchy feely
> crap, that they can't produce valuable, insightful material."
>
> Although the posting has a harsh tone and makes sweeping, undefended
> generalizations, it does raise an interesting point. If writers don't use a
> process that is as clearly defined and repeatable as software development
> can be, the work appears to be unfocussed and "touchy-feely". If they _do_
> use such a process, but can't explain it or defend any facet of it, things
> are slightly better -- but still bad.

Actually, I consider clearly defined (hence we spent a lot of time masticating
over them and documenting them) processes as touchy-feely crap.

> Of course, many software developers don't use a clearly defined and
> repeatable process, either. But they build the product, so they often have
> more wiggle room in the organization...

And good writers can often mirror such environments. General goals and deadlines
are set with processes and procedures developing holistically and gradually over
time vs. forced into existence without substantial comprehension of the
information being shaped, generated, managed, etc.

Andrew Plato

http://faith.yahoo.com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com