Re: Online Help for Pocket PC

Subject: Re: Online Help for Pocket PC
From: Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:31:55 -0700

As I understand it, the emulator for Pocket PC comes only with the SDK, which costs $$s from M$. I also hear it's unreliable.

I used the screen capture software from IAStyle (http://www.iastyle.com/iascreenshot/index.asp) to get screenshots for a mobile project I worked on. There's a 30-day free trial available. The screenshots are saved to the device, then you can copy them up to your desktop using the ActiveSync connection.

As for writing help for Pocket PCs and other PDAs, I have found very little useful information, beyond a generic caveat that you don't have much real estate to work with. The project I worked on did not provide any online help. Check the Microsfot developer web site for anything they might have there.

-Fred

At 01:40 PM 10/17/2002 -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

cyd dunning wrote:

any ideas on how to get screen shots from the Pocket PC device onto a desktop to be used in a hard-copy user guide?

I don't know about Pocket PCs, but there are a couple of emulators for Palms (one by Palm itself) that run on a regular computer.They exist to make testing easier.

I'd guess that a Pocket PC emulator must be available, too -

Fred Sampson
wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107659/

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com