Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: Jeff Hanvey <jeff -at- jewahe -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

It's been my experience that the companies don't do the background check until *after* the interview (and usually after the job offer has been extended). In fact, I was offered my current position tenatively until after the background check was complete. We all knew I'd get the job unless there was something horrible on my record (apparantly there's not; at least, there's nothing that would stop me from getting a job).

I'm not sure if there's a standard: sometimes, I've been asked to fill out an application just before the interview; other times I've filled one out after the interview. The application package always contains a permission slip for a background check.

I've always thought that the place to put any "special situations" is on the application form - I usually put it in the comments section.

Applications usually only require the last 5-7 years of information, so that's really what I stay current on. If a company I worked for a long time ago changes, it will go on my resume as the company I worked for and I present the writing samples as work I'd done at that company. However, I'm always careful to *tell* the interviewer that the company has changed.

I guess it's a judgement call. I don't believe that the HR people will waste time and money checking up on every item on your resume - and if they are that picky, then how in the world do they ever *get* candidates?

Jeff

--- Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>Background checks aren't free. How many companies are
>really doing them before they narrow down their list?

Jeff Hanvey: http://www.jewahe.net

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com