Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:23:41 -0400

From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>

> Jeff Hanvey wrote:
>
> > So I vote not to worry too much about the citation, but to concentrate on
the heart of the resume - the skills and experience you can bring to the
company.

> In general, this is good advice. Skills and accomplishments are
> generally more important than the specific positions you've held. That's
> why most resume experts and career coaches suggest you put your work
> experience on the second page.

Not the expert whose book I just edited. Work experience, she says, should
start on the first page.

> However,you never know what human resources types will focus on.Last
> week, when I was following up on a job application, I was told that I
> wasn't short-listed because:
>
> - My last two permanent positions were with Linux-based companies, and
> the company where I applied was a Linux shop (never mind that many other
> positions were Windows-based,and the company did not make operating
> systems - or that anyone who can use Linux can use Windows without trouble)

I don't get it, Bruce. Did you leave a "not" out of the paragraph or
something? If they're a Linux shop, why would your employment at Linus-based
companies be a negative point? I'd think the opposite.

> - Two other major positions were judged not to be software-oriented
> (never mind that the job description I provided clearly showed otherwise).

Did you apply for a developer's job or a writer's job?

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com