Big bucks in tech writing

Subject: Big bucks in tech writing
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

I got asked this in private, but I think the discussion is good for all of
me this message.

> I?d like to ask you a question - what kind of tech
> writing positions pay big money today?

> Reason I ask is that I?m tired of making small bucks
> as a tech writer and would like to start making more
> money. I like technology and science and adapt quickly
> to pretty much any kind of tech writing assignment.
> I?m willing to go through lengthy training - formal or
> informal - to ?come up to speed.? Would you mind
> sharing with me what fields and what specialties pay
> the big bucks?

People ask me all the time - what areas of tech writing are lucrative. The answer
is: any of them - if you have the drive and ambition to succeed.

You cannot just pick up a book on Linux, astrophysics, or animal husbandry and
become a highly paid expert overnight. Most people who have made decent money in
tech writing did so because they were deeply committed to something and forged a
lucrative niche for themselves. This usually is accompanied by a lot of hard
work, perseverance, and a solid set of business and sales skills. That doesn't
come overnight. You have to learn those skills and experiences. If you're lucky
you can latch on to somebody who will mentor you.

What I do know is that the standard writing and FrameMaker skills are not going
to make you much money these days. There just isn't big demand for those skills.
Many of the people who built tech pubs empires during the 90s based on writers
with zero technical skills have collapsed. Their employer was simply unwilling to
pay for teams of writers who did nothing but produce processes on how to work and
line up their ducks.

Another thing - everybody thinks they are a quick learner. The fact is very few
people ever really challenge themselves to do anything new. If you want to learn,
you have to be willing to screw up and make a total ass out of yourself. You
cannot learn and grow if you always take the easy way out.

Also, remember that you are in competition with other people, like me. And I am
working night and day to make sure customers pick me over you. If you plan to win
business over competitors, you need to work harder, longer, and more effectively
than you competition. You can't expect to put in a flat 8 hour day, have a tidy
little retirement bonus, and get all your labor rights met if you want to make
big money. You have to blaze a path for others to follow, and that usually means
going out on your own and casting off a lot of the comforts of a 8 to 5, "work
exactly 40 hours and not one second more" type jobs.

Which I suppose ultimately comes down to priorities. What is important to you?
Comfort? Money? Fame? A new Mercedes? What you want in life has a lot to do with
what you get. If you want more money, then figure out who has money and go hang
around them. Money tends to beget more money.

Good luck, and don't take any verbal contracts. :-)

Andrew Plato

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com