words to use instead of "system"

Subject: words to use instead of "system"
From: Patrice Dodd <PatriceD -at- caesy -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:46:13 -0700

Hello, fellow tech writers:

I have a question about naming. I'd look on the archives, but I don't know
which words I'd use. I'm the lone tech writer here, and don't get out much.

OK, so we have a server-delivered software product. There are three parts to
this product:
* the server hardware
* the software that operates the server
* the applications that are delivered from the server.

This server needs to be configured to operate with the user's network. This
work is done through a PC, and requires that the user temporarily change the
PC's IP address to access the server.

At times, I need to refer to the PC's operating system, and at other times I
need to refer to the server's system. "System" is the word that the
programmers love, and thus it shows up in the GUI meaning several different
things.

Can you help me find some words that will differentiate these two? One can
be (or include) "system," but the other one shouldn't. I'll be using these
words in the GUI and in the manuals and online help.

Thanks
Patrice Dodd

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com