Re: Do choosy mother mothers choose GIF?

Subject: Re: Do choosy mother mothers choose GIF?
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:39:05 -0500

> I pronounce it with the soft "G" -- simply because that's the way I
> always heard it, at first (as a CompuServe user, way back when).
>
> But there may be a linguistic shift under way, as these days I hear
the
> hard-G "GIF" more and more.
>
> Me, I'll stick with the "Jif" pronunciation, recognizing that there is
no
> logic to it, since I say hard-G "GigaHertz" or "Gig" but soft-G "giant".

I pronounce it both ways on alternate days. I also tend to pronounce it the
way the person I am speaking to pronounces it, if I can remember.

Unitl the patent runs out, I pronounce GIF 'P-N-G'.

> Jo figure. ;-)

I've been trying to teach the techs and programmers to pronounce
SQL as Sequal so they won't offend the customers and prospects.

Maybe we could all pronounce it 'Squeal' and change things for the better.

I remember one PR consultant who had just about convinced me to use her
services when she started talking about all of her experiences with
'Silicone' Valley. I stopped returning her calls. I was rather surprised on
a trip to California to hear some commentators on TV pronouncing it the
same.

Brad Jensen

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com