Re: wording for training materials

Subject: Re: wording for training materials
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:26:03 -0400

Anonymous writes:

> Questions:
>
> 1. I expect that a writer, whether a junior or a senior, should be able to
> make all the editing changes marked on a document without missing several.
> Is this really too much to expect?

As an editor and a writer, I don't think so. But sometimes having an editor
spoils writers. <g>

> 2. For those of you who have an editor (or are the editor), how many
> editing passes typically occur? Does the editor typically perform a final
> pass on each doc before it is published? Is the editor expected to sign
> off on each doc before it is published?

When I was lucky enough to have a job <sob>, anything that was edited had a
final pass (or as many "final" passes as it took to get a quality document).
Editors signed off on docs before they were published because the writers did
the very things you described.

> 3. Also for those of you who have an editor, is the editor's role clearly
> defined? In other words, is it clearly stated that the editor has final
> say on editing issues, and that writers must adhere to the editor's
> corrections?

It was at both of my prior jobs.

> 4. Others have stated that writers who deliberately ignore changes
> requested by the editor should be reprimanded. (Note: this action has been
> recommended when the editor is the manager, or when it is clearly
> understood that the editor has final say.) How is this typically handled
> in your group? Does the editor/manager pull the writer aside and say "hey,
> Joe, you need to start making those editorial changes"? Is the writer's
> work then carefully monitored for the next few projects? How *do* you
> handle this without crossing the line into dictatorship?

The doc manager should be enforcing the authority of the editor. That's how it
was done in both my jobs. If the department has an editor, presumably it's
because the doc manager wants one. The doc manager has to support the editor
and tell writers that they must follow the editor's guidance OR ELSE.

> (Disclaimer:
> I am not an editing tyrant. I carefully weigh all of my comments for
> objectivity, asking myself if something is truly incorrect or if it is
> merely a preference on my part. I make a point of marking which changes
> are required and which are simply suggestions. I discuss the edits with
> the writers and ask them to come to me if there are any disagreements or
> questions. The style guide is also open to discussion and is changed when
> all writers agree that the change is warranted.)

I worked with one sloppy writer who took offense and caused me trouble, even
though the doc manager supported me. Get the doc manager behind you or go
elsewhere. I realize the "or" in that sentence is not a viable suggestion in
this economy, but I'm trying to convey the absolute necessity of having the
doc manager's guns behind you.
Without them, you are just, what is it that they say?, pxxxing in the wind.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com