Re: Correlations between docs and bottom line

Subject: Re: Correlations between docs and bottom line
From: Ami WRIGHT <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:13:56 -0400

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:23:38 -0400, "Benedicto, Brandon T" wrote:

>Do any of you have ideas on discovering how a department's production of
>documents relates to an organization's bottom line?

Hi Brandon,

I have anecdotal information only. I previously worked for a small
software company that made programming tools for the Oracle environment.
It was a small company. I was the only tech writer, and tech support was
handled directly by the developers. I suggested that I handle tech support
instead, because I thought that I could improve the documentation if I had
more contact with the users. The developers thought that was a great idea,
because they didn't really want to do support calls anyway.

The first call that I took was someone calling about an error message that
he had gotten while installing the product. When I asked the developer
about it, he said "People call about that all the time. They can just
ignore that message."

I added two sentences to the documentation, and nobody ever called about
that again. It took me 20 minutes to eliminate their single most common
tech support question.

It is definitely the party line in our profession that good documentation
lowers a company?s support costs and increases customer satisfaction. I've
heard other people relate other stories like this one, but I've never seen
any studies that actually demonstrate the connection. If anyone knows
about one, I'd love to hear about it.

-Ami

Ami Wright
"technical" tech writer
American with international experience
www.ziplink.net/users/ami

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com