RE: Warnings

Subject: RE: Warnings
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:49:43 -0700

Your exactly right Archie. If you can think up a way to dangerously use a
product, someone already has done so. I would definitely add a warning to an
existing publication, even if only one person came to harm by using the
product in a careless way. Not only is it good due-diligence, it is a safe
bet someone else will do the same thing, if not so advised.

There is some truth to the fact that the American legal system does require
the inane to be posted, to protect oneself from litigation. As someone on
the list already pointed out, unnecessary safety notices have been popping
up like mushrooms in American user-guides and manuals. This is mostly due to
cooperate fear of legal actions (both frivolous, and non).

Then-again, I think back to the time when Otis Elevators had a high-speed
leveling system for their elevators, which pre-opened the doors before the
car leveled at the floor. It was eventually disconnected because some people
would not wait for final leveling, and end up tripping across the uneven
door sills (later found out that some riders would even be squeezing out,
through the partly open doors).

One individual in particular, tried to sue Otis for being injured by his
cane; which somehow was jammed in-between the top of the partially open door
and outside door header. What was his cane doing other than on the inside of
the cab, was anyone's guess. But it goes to prove that if people can find a
way to harm themselves with a product ... they will. And when they harm
themselves from stupid acts, ... they yell 'law-suit.'

Also, I'm amazed at the number of times I've heard about (minor) car
accidents. Where someone rear-ends another car at an intersection, then asks
"why did you stop ... it's your fault, I struck your car." When you hear
stuff like that, the silly warnings are not so silly any more.

Bruce

Archimede Ziviello wrote:

> ... a reasonable consumer given information necessary to make reasonable
> decision on use.
>
> I think you are trying to suggest that silly warnings are manufacturers
> attempt at shielding the enterprise from unreasonable people injuring
> themselves with their products? Is this right?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com