Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: Lois Patterson <skycerulean -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:04:30 -0800 (PST)

I haven't read this letter to the editor, but this
subject raises an interesting point. Is there any way
to have a legitimate competition among various
technical communication entries in respect to artistic
presentation? Most companies are very much oriented to
financial results -- having their technical writers
spend time on artistic presentation that will win a
competition may be counterproductive in more ways than
one. (In every situation I have worked in, spending
enough time on artistic presentation so as to win a
competition would have meant cutting back on other
aspects of the documentation.)

>From an academic point of view, though, "artistic
presentation" in technical communication is an
interesting idea.

Lois Patterson

--- "Blount, Patricia" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com> wrote:
[snip]

> Chambliss comments on an editorial that draws
> parallels between judging the quality of technical
> comm products and - of all things - Olympic figure
> skating. (She apparently wrote an article on this
> subject in '98 that I haven't read). She closes her
> letter with an intriguing question: "Can anyone
> develop methods that will help technical
> communicators to achieve outstanding "artistic
> presentation" for information products and also to
> demonstrate its value?"

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com