RE: insure or ensure (was: RE: Warnings)

Subject: RE: insure or ensure (was: RE: Warnings)
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:30:32 -0700

I appreciate your pointing it out, Lindsey. I hadn't even noticed ... and
changed it right away. Now I'm kind of glad I posted that paragraph to the
list. Being the only technical writer at work, something like that (mistake)
might have sailed right past everyone reviewing it.

I might even contact my lawyer about suing Micro$oft for not including a
'pop-up' warning with their spell-checker, in order to alert me on what the
difference was. Because of their negligence, I was unable to determine any
difference between 'insure', 'ensure', and 'assure.' My third-grade English
teacher is also responsible for not making (forcing?) me to pay attention
when in class. Damn all these incompetent people hindering me from
surpassing my potential. ;-)

Then again, my third-grade teacher would never have made her decision to
pass me (in English), if she knew it would have resulted in my being
employed as a writer. She would have felt that no reader deserved to suffer
through my writing.

Bruce

Lindsey Durway wrote:

> I believe that should be "ensure." "Insure" refers
> only to the selling or buying of insurance policies.
> "Ensure" means to make sure. Not the same as "assure,"
> either, btw. You might mention this point to your lawyers.
> Was it your lawyers who drafted that language in the
> first place? Seems like the kind of distinction that they
> would take very seriously.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com