Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 14:27:13 +0200

Andrew suggests:

> 1. All can enter, not just STC members.

And indeed that is the case. Always has been,
far as I know.

> 2. NON-STC judges.

I'm not sure whether this means no STC judges at all,
or both STC and non-STC judges. Today there are both
STC and non-STC judges.

> 3. Finalists must be run through a rigorous testing with
> actual users, not STC members who are jockeying for positions
> of power.

That is a tall order, for reasons too obvious to
enumerate.

Judging an STC competition is a little like judging
haute cuisine. The food judges don't eat the food.
They assume that it tastes good and they judge other
aspects of it. Similarly, if there are no flaws of
content that scream forth from the page, STC judges
give entrants the benefit of the doubt regarding,
for example, the completeness and accuracy of
explanations.

> 4. Wipe out all the regional competitions and have
> one national one. Make it a real honor to win.

There is one national competition. Considering the
size, it must necessarily involve more than one round
of judging. Is there a reason that the first round
should not be regional?

Mark L. Levinson I've fallen behind on
Herzlia, Israel digests and apologize if
nosnivel -at- -dot- netvision -dot- net -dot- il I'm re-covering old ground.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com