RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:19:09 -0500

>> You could talk about network protocols, sure. But that would send those
>> 90% of the techwriters packing who don't do anything with networking
>> protocols and presumably never will. And for a third of the remainder,
>> the level is too high, and for another third it is too low.
>
>That's sad. Because if those writers actually listened, they might learn
>something valuable. And then they might realize that knowledge - even about

Not really. Believe it or not, there are some writers who don't need to know
anything network technology to write about their field with in-depth
understanding. If I specialize in writing instructions on automotive repair
or jet engine repair, then what do I care about networking protocols? If my
field is nuclear fission, do I have an interest in TCP/IP?

BTW...so that this thread can have some value to more than 6 people...there
is a really great source for protocol definitions:

http://www.protocols.com/acronyms_list.htm,

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com