RE: Tools Question

Subject: RE: Tools Question
From: "Lisa Wright"<liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:14:30 -0800

Hi Penny,
I pretty much figured it out on my own and I mostly base it on the
manipulation of existing screen captures. The technique I use takes advantage
of the fact that you can mix vector/non-vector images within the same file and
use multiple layers in PaintShop Pro. I actually started doing this a long
time ago using MS Paint, believe it or not. This is MUCH easier.

(Note: This example assumes a new screen for an existing program, but you can
just as easily create a "background" for a new program.)

For example, to do a mockup of a screen for a web-based program, first I take
a screen capture of an existing screen and clear out all the extraneous stuff
using the selection tool. It's important to make sure that your background
color is set to the screen's background color. I save the background as its
own PSP file and open it whenever I need to do a new screen.

Then I start adding the new elements. To create those elements, I use a
variety of resources and I build up my palette of elements over time. Each
element is usually saved as its own PSP file. For example, if I want to add a
Save button, I open the BSave.psp file that lives in the Buttons directory,
select all and then Paste, either as a new layer (which makes it easier to
add/remove if the prototype gets modified) or a new selection (which adds it
to the existing background layer).

For even more efficiency with an element where the base is always the same
(such as buttons with different text) you can save each variable element in
its own layer and display only the layers you want.

To build a new button, I would do one of two things to create the background:
a) copy an existing button or b) use the rectangle tool with the correct
colors. Then I would use the Text tool to create the text, making sure to
create the text as a vector layer. To build fields, I take any old screen
capture that has them and save them as their own graphic, e.g., Sm, Med, Lg.

With practice I became very efficient. I used to do specs for enhancements and
had to do a ton of these. Practice, practice, practice. BTW, PSP lets you undo
something like 50 actions, so if you really screw up you can easily recover.
Makes experimenting much more relaxing. Also, I'm not creating new "art" or
anything. I'm copying, manipulating, or mimicking existing stuff.

It's extremely helpful to become familiar with the Stroke and Fill functions,
creating vector layers, etc. Tool options and layer options are key. I've used
the PSP online help. I believe there are some good resources devoted to PSP on
the web, but I don't have any links here.

Oh, for whoever sent me the tip that Visio 2002 has a better interface (I'm
sorry I'm not at the computer that has that message on it right now), I should
have been more clear. I think Visio is great, I use it all the time for
diagrams and flowcharts and have since 1996, and I've never had a problem with
its interface. I just don't like creating application interface mock-ups with
it, even for an application that uses standard Windows elements. PSP is so
much more flexible that I don't like to be constrained by Visio's small
palette of interface elements for Windows applications.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Lisa

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:53:47 -0600 "Cazanas, Penny" <PCAZANAS -at- ncs -dot- com> wrote:

> I would really like to know how you do this.
> I've used Jasc PaintShop Pro
> for years to do screen shots, but I've never
> been able to figure out how to
> modify/mockup the screens. Did you take a class
> or did you learn on your
> own? Can you at least point me to the right
> chapter in the book? I've got
> v7.
> TIA if you can help.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com