Re: outsourcing technical communication

Subject: Re: outsourcing technical communication
From: nayanikay -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:48:49 -0700

Hi,
While there are justifiable apprehensions and concerns regarding
coordination and management, the outsourcing model works pretty well.
I was part of a team that operated on the offshore business model, and we
did a very good job of helping maintain the VW website. A T1 line and two
8-hour shifts that ensured working hours between offshore and onsite
overlapped plugged any potential communication gaps.
As for technical writing, given good communication facilities, the only
other issue would be as mentioned by others, would be language. There are
quite a few with "good" English too-it's just a Q of a little luck and a
lot of networking to find them.
As for the benefits, one very glaring advantage is the cost. But don't get
me wrong. I am not saying that Indian skills are cheap- this is only
relative.
If you have any Qs, mail me offline.
Nayanika

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com