RE: Ventura 10

Subject: RE: Ventura 10
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:16:05 -0700

Sean, I initially looked at InDesign. However, I'm already using CorelDraw
for the illustrations ... so using Ventura seems like the perfect software
to combine illustrations with text.

I have to say ... that wasn't the only reason! Some of the features within
PageMaker (6.5) are so pathetic, it started my hunting around for a better
DTP. That reason alone, would have made shelling out for another Adobe DTP
product, impossible to justify. In addition, I couldn't convince myself that
InDesign was not aimed at magazine layouts (somewhat like 'Quark'). That
might be an unfair view of InDesign - but since most of my work revolves
around creating manuals, I couldn't take a chance with deciding on
purchasing it.

However, there is no question - I would have liked to have gone with
FrameMaker (my first choice) - because of it's venerable position within the
DTP field. Unfortunately, it was ruled out because of the steep learning
curve, and Adobe's somewhat uncommitted attitude towards future releases. We
had to decide what DTP to stay with, and I would have had a difficult time
explaining (after purchasing the full version of FM) why we would commit to
software that will (as rumored to be) one day replaced by InDesign.

I'm glad my boss is not completely aware of what seems to be turmoil in the
DTP market, otherwise he might have chosen to stay with MS Word, or
PageMaker ... and waited out the storm (something I considered doing). :-O

I hope no one sees my opinions of InDesign, as unfair or biased.

Also, Just received Ventura 10 today, :-) ... So I will definitely take the
advice, about authoring in Ventura. Especially if it will make life easier
(compared to my current text editor - MS Word).

Lastly ... just want to say thanks to those of you who offered suggestions,
and also for taking the time to provide some 'Links' and the directions to
the Ventura 10 news-group for more info.!

Bruce

Sean Brierley wrote:

> I haven't seen 10. But, based on my previous experience, I'd say . . .
> you can, but you'll probably want to move to authoring in Ventura.
>
> Why Ventura 10?
>
> Why not InDesign?
>
> Just curious, I expect Ventura 10 to be feature-full.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com