RE: Ventura 10

Subject: RE: Ventura 10
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:31:21 -0500

I think Lee Richardson of Adobe (lhr -at- adobe -dot- com) would like to know which
reseller was telling you this. Anybody trying to sell you InDesign instead of
FrameMaker is a snakeoil salesman. InDesign is a competitor for Quark and a huge
leap up from Pagemaker But is not a replacement for FrameMaker.

I think Adobe marketing would be VERY interested, and would take action against
the vendor as it clearly lost them a sale.
As for the bugginess of Pagemaker I can't comment. From what I do know about the
product, I would dump it and use Word (if that was the only choice). If you were
making manuals with Pagemaker, some of your frustrations and bugs may just be
that the software isn't designed for that use. But as far as FrameMaker goes,
it's a rock solid product. There are a few outstanding bugs and issues some have
with it, but those are minor IMO.

As far as Adobe's behaviour with respect to bugs, I think it's miles ahead of
Microsoft's.

<<I.M.H.O., if Adobe ever dumped FrameMaker, they'd be in trouble trying to push
InDesign on people like myself.>>
But they're not going to. InDesign would require a lot of work to match Frames
capabilities. Then InDesign would still be overkill in the design and typography
departments to replace FM. Adobe employees on the FrameUsers and FreeFramers
lists have repeatedly said there are no plans to replace FrameMaker with
InDesign. Considering Adobe's usually top secret treatment about product news, I
think that's very significant.

Eric L. Dunn

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com