RE: InDesign, was RE: Ventura 10

Subject: RE: InDesign, was RE: Ventura 10
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 10:43:18 +0100

InDesign is a new PageMaker. It was developed by the same people to be the next product. It represents the culmination of PageMaker's evolution, plus all the knowledge aquired along the way. It's architecture as a product is downright revolutionary, with a sort of central scrutinizer that manages a collection of plugins. A truly modular product. The developers were free to implement the latest in rendering/typographic technology, and are free to update that as the technology improves. They have moved the code-obsolesence bar from the technology used to present and process the data, to the technology used to communicate between processes on the OS. From that standpoint, InDesign is a remarkable product.

I personally have little or no use for the major features that have been built into InDesign... I write the stuff that FrameMaker is good at. But by all accounts InDesign is superior to anything else out there for its particular arena. What it lacks is market penetration, and perhaps tools. I suspect that's a matter of time. And yes, to date it is not a FrameMaker-like tool. It is aimed more at Magazine/Newspaper work. However, it does include an XML/Structure View plugin that bears investigation. There is nothing to keep people from turning InDesign into a FrameMaker competitor except the business case. You could go so far as to turn off significant portions of the product just to focus on the long-doc issues. But for this year and the next at least, FrameMaker will still command everybody's attention in its particular arena.

I *still* don't think it is yet a good choice over
Frame for documentation, though, although for
marketing and advertising things it'd be extremely
good.

Oh jeez. Just what we need. A FrameMaker redone for Quark users.

I'm gonna have nightmares about this.

I know, I know, it's all idle speculation at this point. I'll just keep
repeating that to myself: idle speculation, idle speculation, idle
speculation ...

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com