Re: PDA Documentation

Subject: Re: PDA Documentation
From: "Gunther Schmidt" <schmidt -at- gtr -dot- sczfk -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 21:03:47 +0100

Logendra Naidoo wrote:

>Does anyone on the list create user information for viewing in a Palm
Pilot or PDA format? Ideally, I am looking for anyone who employs XML to
that end...

>My key interests are:
>
>* Quick Reference docs on a PDA
>* Installation docs on a PDA where images are useful in hand.
>* TechTips or bulletins on a PDA.
>* Other

I've never created technical documents for viewing on my Palm PDA but I use
iSilo, Plucker and some other converters and viewers to carry several
documents with me.
iSilo (http://www.isilo.com) and Plucker (http://www.plkr.org) can convert
HTML content with hyperlinks, images, tables and much more. Plucker has
similar features, but is not as powerful as iSilo when handling tables.
Plucker can contain large images - if you tap on a thumbnail in the text,
the image is displayed in its original size, and if it is larger than the
screen, it can be scrolled horizontally and vertically. I prefer iSilo
because it converts faster (at least on my PC) and displays larger
documents more quickly.

iSilo and Plucker offer converters (GUI and command line) for several
operating system, and iSilo has just released a viewer for Windows. Plucker
is free, and the shareware version of iSilo has a 30-day trial period.
There are several sample documents which show the features the readers.

Regards,

Gunther Schmidt

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com