Re: "Standard" software for four-color, glossy magazine layout?

Subject: Re: "Standard" software for four-color, glossy magazine layout?
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:08:57 +0100

InDesign 2.0 is reputedly quite stable and the people who have both Quark and ID are doing more and more work in ID. That said, it still have very little market penetration compared to Quark.

QuarkXPress beats InDesign in the installed base, because publishing is a slow-moving industry. But I'm not at all sure the same is true for current sales; there seems to be a historic shift towards InDesign underway:

- Few XPress users are upgrading to version 5 (the current version).

- Virtually all leading German magazines are looking at InDesign (instead of upgrading the XPress base).

- A leading Quark manager (or so I've heard) has left the company to develop migration solutions for companies switching from XPress to InDesign.

In addition, two developments within Quark are making users nervous:

- Development is apparently being moved to India.

- Of the two publishing systems (very important for magazines), the more affordable one, QPS, is about to be axed.

All this leads me to the conclusion that, if it were my shop, I'd try to avoid XPress whenever possible - it feels too much like a dying system. (Plus Quark's user-unfriendliness is legendary.)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com