Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program

Subject: Re: Anyone ever heard of this book or program
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:37:14 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Cc: <WCourtney -at- Elance -dot- com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:33 PM

> "Wade Courtney" <> wrote ...
>
> > It was recommended to me because I'm thinking if going indie.
>
> > "The Well-Fed Writer" by Peter Bowerman
>
> Ugh. I find the tone of that guy's site very displeasing. Given the
> high-pressure, spam-mail sounding tone of his site, I'd stay away from it.
Get a

http://www.wellfedwriter.com/WellFedWriterChapter.htm

> Yuck. I know guys at the local Kia dealership who are less pushy.
>
> This is my favorite paragraph:
>
> > Picture this: On a Friday morning client phone call, you pick up a
> > job writing a video script. Several hours later, a couriered package of
> > background material shows up at your door. In a follow-up call, you get
some
> > questions answered by the client, and spend a few hours on Sunday night
> > reviewing the material. Monday morning, you meet them at their offices
10
> > minutes away. You work on the project at home, on your deck, under that
> > great shady tree, phone by your side, tall glass of lemonade nearby. By
> > Wednesday morning, between the client call, background reading, the
Monday
> > meeting, and crafting a first draft, you have 16 hours into the project
> > (16 x $75 = $1200). You fax them your draft Wednesday morning, which
> > you won't get back till Friday.
>
> Riiiiiiiiiiiight. That kind of cheap salesmanship makes my skin crawl.

Well, that is a personal reaction, not the absolute truth of the objective
universe.

I perceive that paragraph's 'cheap salesmanship' as a pretty soft-core sales
job.

Some people need a little encouragement to dare to dream.

> Anybody who tells you that running your own business gives you money and
freedom
> is LYING to you.

Everybody who works is running their own business.

You may be able to get a greater return for your efforts by running your own
business. The most important thing to do is find something you love to do,
and do it. (See "Getting Rich Your Own Way" by Skully Blotnick PhD. )

> Running a business (even a small, home business) is hard, hard,
> hard work that is mostly a factor of personality, knowledge, networking,
and
> resources.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."- Calvin Coolidge

> formula no "forumla" from a self-professed business guru will help you run
your
> business. I find it revolting how some people prey upon others with "you
can do
> it just follow my quick get rich scheme."

I'm not a business guru, but I do have some ideas about this.

> Furthermore, you have to wonder: if somebody has a "sure fire way of
making money
> with virtually no skills whatsoever" why on earth would they share it with
you?

For the same reasons you post on this list.

> If I figured out a way to make easy money, do you honestly think I would
run out
> and share that with everybody? Hell no! I'd sit back and rake in the
dough.

I do not believe you for one second.

Even now you are trying to influence people to act in the way
that you think will lead to their happiness. I would expect you to
continue in similar behavior, with perhaps even more joy and
exuberence, if you started making 'easy money'.

> This
> is why all those "get rich quick" schemes are such nonsense. A REAL get
rich
> quick scheme would be the most treasured secret in the world.

Yes, and the metaphysical version is available for free on my website at
www.actasif.com under "Prosperity Step by Step - the Secrets of the
Universe."

> I'd look elsewhere for business books. Heck, Bruce and I and some of the
folks
> right here could give you better (real) pointers than that book.
>
> Andrew Plato

I understand that there are some people who will consider the metaphysical
approach a bunch of magical mumbo-jumbo, so I will offer a down-to-earth
version of the same ideas that can be used by humorous secularists while
they
develop a more expanded worldview.

I think any one of you can improve your prosperity in the very near future
by understanding and applying some principles to your life.

These are things that I have learned in the course of building my own
personal success.

I think they would be helpful to anyone following a tech writing career, and
indeed,
the exercise will be a sort of tech writing for me.

Brad Jensen

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com