Survey and Story time

Subject: Survey and Story time
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:23:30 -0700

I almost feel bad for asking, but I would like you, if you have the time to
complete the following survey/questionnaire (only 10 questions).

Not all questions will be applicable to you, and if you don't want to answer
one, then by all means DON'T!

The responses will be used to complete a paper for a class at Metropolitan
State College of Denver (Denver, Colorado, USA). Our Senior Seminar in
Technical Communications class (containing 3 Tech Comm students) requires a
supposedly in depth study of the field. Our topic choices were limited
to...well...one. How has the recent change in the economy affected the
field of technical communications. So I thought I would make use of this
excellent resource, and give a chance for others to vent. Please feel free
to respond to the list if the comments are relevant and off list for those
that are not. Debate, and even argument, are welcomed OFF LIST.

I have tried to incorporate a viable option for everyone in the multiple
choice questions. If you don't like the answers, please feel free to
elaborate for your situation. General comments that apply to the future or
current state of the field as a whole (your opinion), are welcome as well.
Here's a chance to voice your opinion.

The focus is primarily on three groups, The newbie TW/TE straight out of
school/certificate program, a TW/TE with a degree and less than 5 years
experience, and a TW/TE with over 5 years experience (degree or not).

Our intent is as follows:

"Given the current recession and an increase in unemployment in the
technical communications field, we will attempt to affirm that employment
opportunities for TW/TC have significantly decreased within the past year."
This is intended to affirm that the opportunities for all levels of TW/TCs
have decreased.

Doesn't sound to hard does it. So I want to hear YOUR stories...I don't
care how you format your responses, I just appreciate your time. Thanks so
much!

The questions are as follows:

1. Your current position is best summarized by
a. Full Time Employee
b. Contractor/Consultant that works 40+ Hours a week.
c. Contractor/Consultant who works less than 40 hours a week.
d. Unemployed, laid off within the past year, currently searching for work.

2. How long have you been/did you search for work?
a. About a year
b. Oh, not very long, just a couple of weeks.
c. 3-6 Months
d. 6-10 Months
e. Search? No, they look for me.

3. I have X years of Experience.
a. Newbie, just out of school, or just into the field. (0-6 months-ish)
b. Less than 2
c. Less than 5
d. Boy I've been tech writin' since before yuse was borned. (23+ or greater
than 5 years).

4. My degree level is (including all fields, not just TC).
a. Certificate
b. Associates
c. Bachelors
d. Masters
e. Doctorate
f. I don't need no stinking degree to do this stuff, and well...I don't
have one either.

5. Within the past year, my company has
a. Laid me off.
b. Downsized the number of writers
c. Hired on more writers.
d. Pretty much stayed the same
e. Said "We don't even need writers...the Engineers can write just
fine...I'm a genius!" (eliminated the whole dept.)

6. My company now employs:
a. One or two writers who handle everything for documentation needs.
b. A department of writers/editors and such.
c. An individual who does the writing and documentation, but is really an
engineer/designer/developer/janitor.
d. My company...oh..they went belly up.

7. My responsibilities have:
a. Decreased, cause I don't have a job.
b. Increased, cause there isn't anyone else.
c. Increased, cause there aren't as many writers/editors.
d. I never really had any...so they haven't changed.

8. Since I have been unemployed, I have had approximately:
a. 1-3 serious interviews
b. 3-10 serious interviews
c. 10-20 interviews
d. I lost count, but I am still unemployed
e. I lost count, but I have a job now.

9. Within the past year, I have applied to X amount of TC jobs that I am way
over qualified for.
a. 2-3
b. 3-10
c. 10-20
d. Pretty much all of 'em, cause all the good gigs are taken.
e. I haven't found any TC jobs to apply to.

10. I think the best place to be for a TC job is in:
a. Oh geez, maybe the Northeast.
b. Texas
c. Oh...hmmm...how about California
d. Definitely the Northwest...I here Seattle is great.
e. Mint Juleps and Tech. Writing...the South is where to be.
f. Not in the US, somewhere else.
g. Certainly in England.
h. OH Canada....
I. Australia, New Zealand...
j. Any other place than the list above.
k. (Please add your Country here)

If you have made it this far, I SINCERELY appreciate your efforts, and any
information you have provided. Please feel free to add any additional
comments. Please email JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com or call me at...I am just
kidding, I am brave, but not a fool.

Justin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com