Warning that I think should be there

Subject: Warning that I think should be there
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:14:22 -0500

This tied in with the "Warnings" thread, because it concerns something
people may or may not be aware of and should be warned about. There's
an outfit that rents DVDs online, and gives you a prepaid mailer to
return each one. Inside the mailer is a smaller sleeve that holds the
DVD. I happened to notice this nice, friendly message on the sleeve
saying that if you lose it, enclose a note with the name and email
address of the person returning the DVD. I them saw a bar code and a
number that presumably identified me as the borrower/returned. Well, it
occurred to me that a lot of folks might not realize -- as I confess I
almost didn't -- that when you return a DVD, you gotta include some
means of identifying yourself. They can't tell just by which DVD it is,
because they probably have many copies of any DVD out at once.

So I think that sleeve needs a prominent warning on the order of "YOU
MUST RETURN THIS DVD IN THIS SLEEVE BECAUSE THE SLEEVE TELLS US WHO
RETURNED IT, IF YOU LOSE THE SLEEVE< YOU MUST ENCLOSE A NOTE ... [etc]"
What does everyone think?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com