Re: Proof that content is more important than style

Subject: Re: Proof that content is more important than style
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:02:10 -0800

Bonnie Granat wrote:

So, you know how writers spend the "grand majority of their effort and time"?

I don't know how Andrew would answer, but I suggest that he's making a logical deduction based on observation. Looking at STC programs, or even the posts on this list, I think it's a reasonable assumption that most tech-writers are concerned with style rather than content.

Of course, it may be that tech-writers discuss other things at other conferences or on other mailing lists. However, when I attend technical seminars or when I read technically-oriented mailing lists, I rarely come across other writers. There are a few, and I could be missing some, but the observation still holds true. Even on the OpenOffice.org lists, which would seem to be a natural list to attract tech-writers, I only recognize one other writer from the other mailing lists to which I subscribe.

Why on earth would anyone ask *me* or *you* about a technical content
question? Do you expect people will post questions *here* to ask about new
technologies rather than go elsewhere? Why would you make such an assumption?
I might ask certain posters here about a language issue, but there isn't a
single poster here to whom I would pose a technical question about content.

Why not? Considering how many people dislike displaying their ignorance or feel intimidated by developers, this list could be a very useful place for asking about technical information.

The very fact that you consider this list an unlikely place to ask for technical information seems to support Andrew's point. The assumption behind your viewpoint seems to be that technical writers aren't subject matter experts.

How the hell do you expect people HERE to know about so-called writers who
don't care about content? Are we psychic? You refuse to see us as we really
are and you insist we must be the bad writers who produce crap. Why can't you
accept that WE are not the writers who product crap?
The people on this list are telling you content is a given. Why do you assume
that writers who don't care about content are reading this list?

Andrew has simply been stating general opinions. I don't remember anything in this thread that suggests he believes that the bad writers he denounces are on this list - although given a subscription of over 5000 on the list, the odds are that some might be.

To be fair, I think Andrew is suggesting that some of the attitudes on this list encourage bad writers, but that's as far as he goes.

" A well-proportioned mind is one which shows no particular bias; one of which we may safely say that it will never cause its owner to be confined as a madman, tortured as a heretic, or crucified as a blasphemer. Also, on the other hand, it will never cause him to be applauded as a prophet, revered as a priest, or exalted as a king. Its usual blessings are happpiness and mediocrity."
- Thomas Hardy, "The Return of the Native"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com