Thanks: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: Thanks: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: Suraj Jayan <surajjayantech -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:40:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Thanks to all who have sent a response regarding the
issue. I have checked out the Archive List in TechWrld

about the Holy War an have got some valuable points.

Lindsey, thanks for u'r inputs. The input that u
provided regarding the low cost of word license, but
the longer time

needed for documentation is a very valauable point

Sean, though u suggested FrameMaker version 7 is
cheaper than version 6, we are currently using
FrameMaker

version 6, and in this present scenario, the company
wouldn't think of buying version 7. Anyway thanks for
the

suggestion, it might be helpful if this "Fight For
Frame" succeeds:-)

Abstract of Richard's reply:

This argument is important to the degree that your
tech writers aren't
_really_ tech writers, but "font fondlers." IOW, what
do you mean when
you
say the SMEs "provide the inputs"?

Do the SMEs do all or most of the _writing_? Do the
tech "writers" just
edit
the SMEs' text and "make it look pretty"? Then, yes,
switch to the tool
that
the _real writers_ are using. (Tip o' the hat to
Andrew Plato.) ;-)
Richard

Richard, thanks for u'r inputs. As u said, our
tech-documentation team is an established one with the
necessary

licenses, but the problem arises if few more Tech
Writers are recruited. The company doesn't want to pay
for

more expensive FrameMaker licenses.

Regarding u'r query, as to what I meant by saying that
the SMEs provide the inputs, the procedure is as
follows,

the SMEs provide the inputs in a draft form in a Word
Document. These details are studied by us and scripted

andorganized in a FrameMaker template by us. The PDF
is sent to the SMEs for reviews. Hope the picture is
clear

for you now. Its not just "decorating" the SMEs
inputs, but rewriting them to a Tech Document, which I
guess is

what a Technical Writer is responsible for!!

Mike, thanks for u'r neutral inputs:-). Guess that's
te policy to follow once the company decides once and
for all

that FrameMaker should be put away.

Grant Christopher, thanks for u'r detailed reply. I
agree with all the points listed out by u. Its really
a horror to

create a long document in Word. As u said, a sheet to
show the advantages and disadvantages would really be

helpful as an eye opener. I am planning to also
present some examples, so that he point is clear.

Yes we do follow the procedure of converting the Frame
document to a PDF before sending it for a review, but
the

company/management is not aware of the benefits of
FrameMaker, and hence suggest a common tool for SMEs

and Tech Writers. However I guess, all they need is an
eyeopener--Hopefully!!

Thanks a lot for u'r counter analogies:-)

Keith, thanks for u'r comments. I am surely keeping an
open mind about this issue, because ultimately the
power

is with the company to decide on which software to
keep, and which to knock off. Its just that I prefer
to work in

Frame and want to point out its advantages over Word,
for our type of long documentation needs. If they are

convinced, well and good, otherwise, I'll be working
with Word, maybe sometime soon. Bottom line is, either

FrameMaker or Word, both are capable of winning me the
bread, though in slightly different ways!!

Claire Le, thanks for u'r inputs. I will surely let u
know the status about the "Fight For Frame" here:-).
Hope u have

an easy task of convincing u'r team there.

Bruce's Inputs:
Try Alex Ragen's article:
http://www.techknowledgecorp.com/public/FM-vs-Word2.pdf

and Chris King's article:
http://www.inframe-mag.com/inframe/archive/files/vol1/1-2/wordvsfm2.pdf

Bruce, thanks for giving those valuable links. I
certainly found some good points in them. I agree with
the points u

pointed out, and "will try to keep frame at work"
here:-)

Jan Hennng, thanks for u'r inputs. I have certainly
faced some issues with Word that need work arounds,
and

these work arounds definitely take time. I have
experienced this. I have noted them down to point them
out to the

management. Thanks for u'r comment on this issue:-)

David, u'rs was the first mail I got a response to
this issue. Thanks for pointing out about the
existence about the archives on "holy war"

Thanks to all of u, and do have a great day,
Suraj

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com