Re: Fields arranged as a sentence

Subject: Re: Fields arranged as a sentence
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:16:31 -0700

Lindsey Durway wrote:

> I'm documenting a GUI operation that requires the user to enter several
> arguments. The programmer has arranged these fields as a sentence, sort of
> fill-in-the-blanks thingie. It looks like the following, where the angle
> brackets indicate the fields & the type of value that the field accepts:
>
> If <variable-name> is <less-than/greater-than/equal-to> <number> then
> generate <event-type>.
>
> I find this type of style awkward to document.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dick and Lisa. This is far more user-friendly
and self-explanatory than the "label-oriented style" you're considering. The
"traditional" field labels have only one advantage: the writer can easily
name things without having to think about or understand what the reader is
really being asked to do. ;-)

Dick suggested that you "just slow down a little and bite of smaller
chunks." I have to disagree just a bit. Slow down, yes -- but then, try
thinking about the big picture first instead of the individual bits of
information. I assume you're writing task-oriented documentation. Think in
terms of what the reader accomplishes by performing this step. Hint: It's
not "completing the variable name, comparison operator, and event type
fields."

As Geoff just suggested, your programmer is providing embedded help, and
proposed sentence is essentially self-documenting (especially if the
interface provides lists of valid values). You should concentrate on telling
the reader about the purpose of this step and the consequences of different
choices, not describing the fields themselves.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer