RE: Now is the winter of our dis-CONTENT (was Content vs. Style)

Subject: RE: Now is the winter of our dis-CONTENT (was Content vs. Style)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:56:42 -0500

John - actually your work sounds interesting to me. Now is that a
reflection on your work, or does it say something less-than-flattering
about me ;-D

----------------

Hi, Barb...

I prefer a third option...the way I describe it makes it sound exciting.

Seriously...the project is kinda cool and way-educational. I work with 5
developers and a developer/manager. The project I'm on involves the
stabilization of an Enterprise Integration Application (EIA)

Picture this...a half dozen systems/databases that don't talk to each other;
AS400, SAP, Oracle, SQLServer, etc. Data in XML, relational databases, flat
files, IDOCs, etc. Data moved around via FTP, MSMQ, MQSeries, SAPALE eWays,
etc.

Now...plop down in the middle of all of this, a system called eGate. The
system converts data and connections from different to the same.

The system went in a few years ago. As things happen, things get upgrades,
patches are applied, insert some bubble gum, string, and baling
wire...shazzam...the normal enterprise network infrastructure.

The project is a stabilization effort that is replacing the patches, bubble
gum, string, and baling wire with rewritten ode, redesigned communications,
better error handling, etc.

My job is to create a set of documents that explain how to build the HW that
runs this puppy (Build Book), how it is configured (Design Document), and
how the NOC runs and maintains it (Run Book).

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com