Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style)

Subject: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style)
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:06:30 -0800

Obviously, no one on this list is over 30... :-)

The style-vs-content issue reminds me that technical writing as a career
is still in its infancy. Way back in the old days, engineers wrote all
the documentation, which was then handed off to an English major to
remove all the spelling and grammar errors. It's kind of like the legal
secretary becoming, over the years, a Legal Assistant, then eventually a
Paralegal. Our primary, original, purpose was style, but we earn
respect through our knowledge and skill at accurately conveying content.
The profession is still young enough that we still carry the stigma of
being "just the secretary."

If content were king, then we all might as well go apply to MacDonald's
or Wendy's, and let the programmers rite there owne book's.

Anita Legsdin
Sr. Technical Writer
WatchMark
(425) 564-8135

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful
than a life spent doing nothing."--George Bernard Shaw

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com