RE: techwr-l digest: November 21, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: November 21, 2002
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:25:36 -0600

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com

>It's big on bulleted lists and breaking information into logical,
>digestible chunks. Good concepts, but it rankles me the way this
>organization has tried to market common sense as a product.

My favorite quote from one of my junior high school teachers: "Common sense
is not THAT common."

Keith, I agree that there is nothing revolutionary or particularly
enlightening about the IM methodology, but to reitirate what Jan said, it
helps some people put their random thoughts about information design into
ideas they can refer to and convey to others using specific terminology. It
can be helpful for some, and just plain dull for others.

However, your comment above reminds me of how I felt during both of my psych
classes in college. I couldn't stop myself from thinking "Duh!" and "Of
course; who doesn't know that?!?!" everytime I learned the definition of a
psychological term.

Syed

psychology: Common sense wrapped in a fancy, complicated bow.

philosophy: Common sense stripped of any relevance to reality.

Note: I'm just kidding. It's Friday over here. I mean no insult to any
psychiatrists, psychologists, or philosophers out there. :)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com