Re: How to explain this?

Subject: Re: How to explain this?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:32:22 -0500

> I have a search dialog box in a Windows application. In my training doc, I
> wrote "Click Search" (click the Search button) after the user types a value
> in the search field. The reviewer wants to say "Click Search or (press)
> Enter." I object because, what if the focus is on the Close button when the
> user presses Enter?

If the instruction makes entering the value and either pressing ENTER or
clicking Search two parts of a single action, it should be clear that users
must press ENTER immediately after entering the value.

On the other hand, you could tell the reviewer that it is very often the case
that pressing ENTER activates a button next to a field. Therefore, telling
users isn't necessary. If they discover it, fine. One can usually also observe
when the focus changes by the dotted outlines that appear around the button in
focus.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info
617-354-7084