Re: Licence or license?

Subject: Re: Licence or license?
From: peter -at- softwell -dot- co -dot- uk (Peter Hirons)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:19 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> In our office we continually have arguments about whether a "software
> license" is spelt as "license" or "licence". I argue that it should be
> spelt
> "license", as "licence" is the verb form, e.g. to grant someone a
> licence to
> do something. Others argue the other way around saying that this is the
> American format (we are based in the UK). Does anyone have any thoughts
> add to the fire??
>
> Also, Megabyte - is it MB or Mb? Gigabyte - GB or Gb?
>
> Nadine

In the UK the noun is licence and the verb is license. (Same with
practice). Americans use the 's' form for both. I suggest you get a UK
dictionary (Oxford or Collins) and use that as your reference.

MB is megabyte, Mb is megabit (data transmission rates are often quoted in
megabits/second - Mb/s), mb is milli-bits :-)

Do you need a good editor on your team - I'm available for the right rate
:-)

Peter

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com