A sobering encounter

Subject: A sobering encounter
From: craig -dot- cardimon -at- att -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 20:32:40 +0000

I went to a local Pick Slip Party and met a company recruiter. I inquired about
technical writing positions.

He shook his head, saying, "We got rid of them all. All they do is write.
Anyone can do that."

Sound familiar to anyone?

When I asked who does their documentation, he answered, "The engineers." I made
another inquiry. He replied, shrugging, "Ahh, they muddle through it."

"Muddle" is the exact word he used. From his overall attitude, documentation
was an afterthought, and not much through was put into it in the first place.

For a career changer, this was not encouraging. Anyone care to relate a more
positive encounter?

Craig

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com