doc'ing the docs (was RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights)

Subject: doc'ing the docs (was RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights)
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbri -at- haestad -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:37:44 -0500

Don't overestimate your audience.

I never used to pay much mind to doc'ing the docs either. Until it bit
me in the rear. At a company meeting, with the owner, I was accused of
not having a draft of the documentation done.

You see, when they clicked the online help it took them to a particular
topic. For some topics, because the software was not done or because I'd
not doc'ed it yet, a message displayed to the effect that documentation
had not been done.

Adding to the burden was the fact that when the online help was
accessed, the CHM opened without the bookmarks/TOC pane visible. The
thought here was that if someone was accessing a context-sensitive topic
directly, they did not need to browse using the bookmarks/TOC. In fact,
it was possible to click the Show button in the CHM toolbar to show the
bookmarks/TOC, but the person making the accusation had missed this or
was unfamiliar with this.

Along with the CHM at that time there was a PDF that installed with the
beta software and that was available from the Help menu as an "online
book" entry. The person making the complaint missed that, also.

Additionally, nobody else who was beta-testing and QAing the software
and docs spoke up to mention what was available.

So, I was sorta left hanging. Documenting the show-hide button in the
CHM toolbar was one of my first steps. But, later, confusion over
searching in CHMs, using the index, and using Find in a PDF led to more
documentation.

All of my testers, QAers, and audience have a BS, or higher (many are
phDs), and are used to working with software.

Thus, sometimes doc'ing the doc is a good idea. Don't assume that your
audience, even people used to working with software, are really savvy
enough or have the patience to look at the interface and figure it out.
Common sense, if that's what this is, isn't always what you think . . ..

Cheers,

Sean