RE: doc'ing the docs

Subject: RE: doc'ing the docs
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:49:01 -0500

"Mike Bradley" <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com> wrote:

>Didn't a recent issue of the STC journal have a study that found most
>computer users don't (know how to) use the standard navigation aids in
>online help?

That brings up a related issue: I know a lot of techwrlers are the default go-to persons for their friends and family when a computer issue arises; and a recent experience of that type led to be speculate that the vast majority of users--both at home and in corporate environments--think of the computer as being more like a toaster than a car in terms of the need for user maintenance.

On the one hand, I'm sure the computer manufacturers and marketers have gone to great lengths to create and maintain that attitude, because it helps overcome the fear of dealing with a complex new technology. On the other hand, I think this phenomenon represents a challenge and opportunity for tech writers.

If the reason the product doesn't work properly is that the user is oblivious to the need for reading at least some documentation and following at least some instructions, how do we overcome that obliviousness? How do we turn that into an opportunity to sell our services?

Dick

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com