FW: doc'ing the docs (was RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights)

Subject: FW: doc'ing the docs (was RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights)
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:47:03 -0500

Hi Gordon,

I think my message, posted yesterday to the list, answers some of your
concerns.

To elaborate a tiny bit, from an economic standpoint, Help on Help is a
small expense for a potential payback in customer satisfaction and in
avoiding a support call. Even one call costs money (there's info in the
online often pick up the phone. Help empowers users to solve their own
problems, but because help systems sometimes differ (they're not all WinHelp
or HTML-based Help), users have to know or discover how to use the Help. Of
course, it's hard to tell when a support call (or anything else) has been
"prevented," but that's not an argument for not attempting the prevention.

Help on Help doesn't really complicate the Help system. It's really just
another topic.

The argument that you have to know how to use the help system in order to
get Help on Help has some validity, but I've watched users click on the Help
menu on the tool bar and get very frustrated. If the first item is something
like "How to use this Help system," at least they have a guide.

If you have a more elaborate help system, it makes sense to tell people how
to use it. Steve Krug wasn't kidding when he titled his book _Don't Make Me
Think_. And, as someone else on the list pointed out, you can't really go
wrong underestimating your audience. Our users don't want to spend time
figuring out our interface, and the easier we make it for them to navigate
through the interface, including the Help system, the better.

Just my $0.02.

Marguerite