The debate that won't die (was RE: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style))

Subject: The debate that won't die (was RE: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style))
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:05:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com [mailto:kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more
important than style)

<<Writing seems to be a particular skill, which comes easily to some,
and not at all to others. To me THAT is the reason we (writers) have a
job market. There are those who view the task of writing with about the
same enthusiasm that I feel for a trip to the dentist. This antipathy
for writing is analogous to the almost pathological fear of public
speaking that many people experience. Communication is not easy for
everybody, and some forms of it seem inherently harder than others to
certain people. >>

Indeed. And I think this is why the infamous debate over whether it's
more important for a technical writer to be able to write well or
understand the content won't die. Yes, it is an artificial debate,
because BOTH good writing skills and good understanding of content are
important. But it's not a total no-brainer. The folks that want to
argue that it's more important to write well have Mr. Cronin's point on
their side. A person can be made to understand a given subject much
more easily and reliably than a person can be made to write well. In
fact, the ability to write well may be something you either have or
don't have -- that can't be imparted.

So maybe the debate isn't completely meaningless if we ask the right
question. Instead of "Which is more important for a technical writer to
have?" we should ask, "Which is more important to have if you want to
learn to be a technical writer?" or "If an employer must choose between
an applicant who writes well yet isn't familiar with the subject matter
and an applicant who knows the subject matter but can't write worth
diddly, who is the better choice?"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com