Re: Unionizing?

Subject: Re: Unionizing?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:06:48 -0800 (PST)

"Bruce Byfield" wrote...

> When I was in high school, a teacher asked my class to visualize what
> would happen in the next few decades. Disasters of all sorts were
> predicted. Then the teacher asked class members what would happen in
> their lives in the next few decades. All the usual dreams of marriage
> and success were given. Apparently, all these personal accomplishments
> were to take place at the same time that the world collapsed.

Hee hee. That's good.

> In the same way, I think that, when people talk about unions, they never
> envision a situation in which they might need one themselves. Diasters
> and unfair practices are events that happen to other people, not them.
> If they have been laid off or discriminated against, they tend to
> dismiss events as a one-time run of bad luck, rather than wonder if what
> happened is part of a trend or even systemic.

I like to think of this issue as really a risk/reward proposition. Joining a
union or taking a nice comfy government job has far lower risk. As such, the
rewards (money) are generally lower.

Starting a business, for example, is highly risky. But if the business
succeeds, the rewards can be very handsome. If you fail, the harm can be great.

Contracting (freelancing) has the same risk/reward problem. Freelancing is an
inherently more risky career path, but if you do it right, you can make more
money.

Some people, like myself, are simply unwilling to sacrifice rewards (money) for
comfort. One of the reasons I get up every morning and can't wait to get to
work is because I control my destiny. I am a free man. I am not beholden to
some bureaucracy or some union. The only thing holding me back, is me.

The fact is we are all free. Free to choose. But each choice has consequences.
And people usually get into trouble when they make bad choices.

Some people see bad decisions as opportunity to learn, grow, and evolve. "Damn
it, I screwed up. I won't make that mistake again."

Other people see bad decisions as an opportunity to sue, complain, and beg for
sympathy. "Damn it, they need to pay for this and you need to pity me!"

Some people take personal responsibility for their growth and prosperity.
Others relinquish this to a group.

Pick your poison.

Andrew Plato

http://mailplus.yahoo.com