Re: The debate that won't die

Subject: Re: The debate that won't die
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:25:58 +0100

You're going to tell me that my friend's technical and engineering skills are
easier to acquire than the ability to use FrameMaker.

No, I did not and I'm not going to. You seem to have misunderstood my point.

First of all, the debate was about the relative importance of technical or communication skills in technical writers. Since your friend is not a technical writer, his skills appear irrelevant to the discussion; in any case I wasn't talking about the skills of engineers, programmers or the like.

Second, I expressed quite clearly what I mean with 'communication skills', and they have nothing to do with mastery of a particular application.

What I was saying is, that in my personal experience, a technical writer is less likely to acquire the ability to communicate well (as defined in my previous posting) than to acquire the technical knowledge required for any given job.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com