Re: Who hires technical writers?

Subject: Re: Who hires technical writers?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:51:44 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been made. However, to
> go off on a tangent, I'd like to pass along a point that has recently
> been driven home to me: try to contact the highest person in the company
> you can.
>
> Many people, I've found, assume the opposite: instead of trying to talk
> to the CEO or CTO, they contact the Documentation Manager instead. The
> trouble with this approach is that it can close the door too quickly. If
> the Doc Manager can't see you, or doesn't have complete hiring
> authority, then you don't have any other resort.
>
> By contrast, if the CEO refuses to speak to you, then maybe a Director
> or Manager will. Also, the higher up the corporate ladder your contact
> is, the more likely that he or she will have hiring authority.

I have a friend who uses a variation of this. He will telephone the CEO
of the company, who rarely speaks to him. But, he states why he is
calling and who should he specifically speak to. When he calls or writes
the referenced person, he always mentions that the CEO, (or whoever,)
suggested he call.
while he has no statistics either way, he feels that way at least his CV
gets looked at by a real person.

--
Peter
- a chrono- logically experienced citizen

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com